331 North Broadway
This originally was a Greek Revival house built in 1841 for and by Perry Gaugh. Later Italianate features were added such as the low hipped roof, hoodmolds and paired brackets. Before 1896 it gained the huge stone Richardsonian porch which was unusual for the time.
325 North Broadway
This pair of Romanesque “mirror image” houses are known as the Scott – Frazee houses. They were built in 1890 by Joseph Scott and his partner David Frazee, who, according to local legend, flipped a coin to see whose family owned which house. The Scott house has been owned by the Scott family ever since and now belongs to the great-grandson of Joseph Scott.
The house is a two-story, four bay house with a three story round tower. It is built of “Philadelphia pressed brick” and in 1890 cost $15,000.00 to build. The builder/architect was John F. Luigart.
Because the original owners of these two houses were in the furniture business the furniture in each house was said to match the architectural detailing which is exceptionally fine.
319 North Broadway
This is the Nathaniel Shaw house and was built in 1843. The architecture is Greek Revival and Colonial Revival. Itwas built as a single family residence although it has been converted to multi-family usage.
Hiram and Nathaniel Shaw were hatters who purchased 147 ½ feet on Broadway “opposite the University” in 1843. In 1849, after Nathaniel’s death, Hiram deeded the house and property to Emma, Nathaniel’s widow, and her infant children.
Originally, the house was built in the Greek Revival style, perhaps with a hall parlor plan. One of the brick ells appear to be original and the other ell was added by 1871 with the other additions in the colonial Revival style between 1896 and 1934.
315 North Broadway
This is one of the four houses built on this block by John Holmes between 1838 and 1840. 315 N. Broadway was built in 1838 for Josiah & Caroline Ennis who also owned and resided at 301 North Broadway. This house was apparently used as rental property by the Ennises and several subsequent owners.
This is a two-story, three bay, common bond Greek Revival house that was remodeled in the late 19th century with Italianate trim.
309 North Broadway
Another house by John Holmes built in 1840 that also seems it was built as a rental property. This two-story, three bay brick house, originally a Greek Revival townhouse, was raised to 2 ½ story and redecorated in the Italianate style probably in the 1870s.
The 2 story octagonal bay was added in 1901 when a two-story frame porch was removed. This much enlarged house clearly reflects the tastes of the generations which added to it while retaining the integrity of its original form.
305 North Broadway
This Greek Revival was also built by John Holmes in 1840 and it appears that Holmes and his wife Sallie resided here.
In 1883 Confederate Captain Stephen G. Sharp and his wife Jennie bought this house and lived here until the early 20th century. Sharp had a remarkable military career serving with General John Hunt Morgan and later with Basil Duke. The list of his civic accomplishments after the war is also impressive. Offices he held included; Lexington fire chief, jailer, city attorney, tax collector, president of the Board of City Council , Fayette county judge, Kentucky state treasurer, and U.S. Marshall for the Northeastern District.
301 North Broadway
The Josiah Ennis house was also built in 1840 by John Holmes. This is another Greek Revival that appears to have had relatively few changes over the years. This is the house the Ennises resided in until 1854.
Captain Calvin C. Morgan, brother of Confederate General John Hunt Morgan bought this house in 1873 and stayed here until 1918. Although this is now used as a multiple residence is was built as a single family residence.
Cross Broadway to Old Morrison stop at the Patterson Cabin
Colonel Robert Patterson (1753 - 1827) was an American Revolutionary War veteran who helped found the cities of Lexington and Cincinnati, Ohio.
Patterson was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War and served in the Indian campaigns with George Rogers Clark. Patterson moved from Kentucky in 1788 and was one of the three founders of Cincinnati.
Patterson moved to Dayton, Ohio in 1802 and continued his military service as a Quartermaster during the War of 1812. Patterson's farm, Rubicon, was located two miles south of Dayton where he and his wife Elizabeth (Lindsay) raised eight children.
This cabin is Robert Patterson’s from the late 18th century. In 1901 John Patterson, Robert’s grandson, moved the log cabin from Patterson Street to his home in Dayton, Ohio. The Dayton City Commissioners voted in 1939 to return the log cabin to Lexington and here it stands.
3rd Indians still walked the Blue Grass when the log cabin at 318 West Third Street was built. Once a one-room structure, the cabin was early partitioned to become front hall and living room of a larger house formed by adding rooms above and behind it. The cabin was covered with clapboards long ago. The cabin was constructed on what was Outlot #5 on Lexington's first town plat. This outlot originally was deeded to John Morrison, according to a 1790 deed with which the town trustees granted the same outlot to Peter and Thomas January, French emigrants who were early settlers.
Keep walking towards Old Morrison
The Kentucky Leader in April of 1880 wrote in an article titled “LEXINGTON OF TODAY” Lexington is the center of the richest and most delightful country in the world, and it has for many years enjoyed the reputation of being the principal seat of learning in the South – a reputation well deserved on account of its excellent schools and colleges.
Transylvania University has a long, notable and complicated history that touches a number of former and subsequent institutions of higher learning.
Transylvania is Latin for “across the woods” named after the heavily forested region of western Virginia that became Kentucky.
Transylvania University opened at Danville, Kentucky, in 1780, and did not move to Lexington until 1789. The first site in Lexington was in the historic Gratz Park. The 1789 building burned in 1829 and the school was moved to its present location. In its early years, the University included a medical school, a law school, a divinity school, and a college of arts and sciences. During this early period many important figures in American history attended the school: Notable statesman Henry Clay, himself a graduate, taught at the school's college of law from 1805-07 before returning to politics and founding the Whig Party. Stephen F. Austin, the "Father of Texas", graduated in 1810. In the early 1820s, Jefferson Davis the future first and only President of the Confederate States attended as a student, but chose to finish his studies at West Point. The first Supreme Court justice to have earned a modern law degree, John Marshall Harlan, earned it from Transylvania's law school in 1853. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel Freeman Miller earned a degree from the medical school, practiced medicine in Barbourville, Kentucky, and then became a lawyer before being appointed to the Court by Abraham Lincoln in 1862.
Meanwhile, Kentucky University, the other major institution that would play role in the creation of the modern Transylvania University, was founded in 1836 in Georgetown, Kentucky as a spinoff of Georgetown College, a Baptist supported institution. This new school was launched by former Georgetown faculty members who were aligned with the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). Originally known as Bacon College (named after Sir Francis Bacon), the college was recharted as Kentucky University in 1858 upon a move to donated land in Harrodsburg, Kentucky.
The American Civil War wreaked havoc on the South, and the state of Kentucky was no exception. Kentucky University was devastated by fire and both it and Transylvania University were in dire financial straits. As a result, in 1865, both institutions secured permission to merge: The new institution utilized Transylvania's campus in Lexington while perpetuating the name Kentucky University.
The University was reorganized around several new colleges. Among them was the Agricultural and Mechanical College (A&M) of Kentucky, publicly chartered as a department of Kentucky University as a land-grant institution under the Morrill Act. However, due to questions regarding the appropriateness of a federally funded land-grant college controlled by a religious body, the A&M college was spun off in 1878 as an independent, state-run institution. A&M soon developed into the state's flagship public university, the University of Kentucky.
Kentucky University's College of the Bible, which traced its roots to Bacon College's Department of Hebrew Literature, also received its own charter in 1878. The Seminary became a separate institution, although it remained housed on the Kentucky University campus until 1950, later changing its name to the Lexington Theological Seminary. In 1903, Hamilton College, a Lexington-based women's college founded in 1869, merged into Kentucky University.
Due to confusion between Kentucky University and its daughter institution the University of Kentucky, the institution adopted the eldest name in its lineage "Transylvania University" in 1908.
Old Morrison, Administration Building
This Registered National Historic Landmark was built in 1833 under the supervision of Henry Clay, who taught law at Transylvania and was a member of the Board. Old Morrison was the first Greek Revival building to be used for academic purposes. Over the years, the structure has been used for classrooms, a church, and even as a hospital and prison for both sides during the Civil War. It now houses administrative offices, a chapel, the computing center, and the tomb of Transy's eccentric naturalist Constantine Rafinesque.
Cross 3rd to Gratz Park
Gratz Park is named after early Lexington businessman Benjamin Gratz whose home stands on the corner of Mill and New streets at the edge of Gratz Park. The historic district consists of 16 buildings including the Hunt-Morgan House, the Bodley-Bullock House, the Carnegie Library, and several other private residences. Gratz Park occupies a tract of land that was established in 1781 outside of the original boundaries of Lexington.
The Park was the original site of Transylvania College, that building was destroyed by fire in 1829, and the only remaining building is the kitchen. The Transylvania campus was moved across Third Street to its present location.
John McMurty, an infamous Lexington architect, once owned the present site of Gratz Park, deeded to him in payment for his fees for building the old Medical Hall of Transylvania College.
At the northern edge of the park is the "Fountain of Youth," built in memory of Lexington author James Lane Allen using proceeds willed to the city by Allen. The park was deeded to the city of Lexington during the mid-20th century, but not without a couple of years of controversy. The University had proposed cutting the park into building lots for “flats”, but the public outcry was very much opposed so an agreement was finally reached for the sale to the city and it is still used as a public park today.
Walk through Gratz Park towards the Carnegie Center
Lexington's library has a long, distinguished history. Established in 1795, it is now the oldest institution of its kind in Kentucky and possibly the oldest in the west. The library was started with 400 books, which were added to the collection that already existed at the Transylvania Seminary. The library was based on subscription wherein people paid for the use of the library holdings. In 1898, Lexington was deemed a second-class city by the Kentucky Legislature and this classification enabled the city to acquire and conduct a free library.
The Carnegie Library, also known as the Lexington Public Library, was built in 1906 as a gift to the city of Lexington from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie donated $60,000 of his approximate $550 million fortune to the city for the construction of the library building. To receive its donation, the Carnegie Foundation required the city to provide a site for the library and to appropriate funds for the library's upkeep. The new building was constructed of Bedford limestone and was built for a sum of $75,000. Thereafter, the contents of the library were moved to their new home, a beautiful Neo-Classical building at the southern end of Gratz Park.
Follow New Street towards Broadway and walk back towards 3rd
Lexington has served as a major economic center throughout its history. During the early 19th century, Lexington was a major manufacturing center. Most of this manufacturing centered on hemp production. The hemp was grown on area farms and then manufactured into rope on the many "rope walks" or rope factories within the city limits. John Wesley Hunt an area businessman made his fortune in the hemp and mercantile business, making him the first millionaire west of the Allegheny Mountains. With this fortune he constructed his mansion, Hopemont (the Hunt-Morgan House).
There were hemp factories on both sides of this block of Broadway during most of the 19th century. This block is a typical example of 19th century mixed-use, with the owner/officers of the businesses living directly adjacent to their firms. This was true of the members of the Scott family, Persicolas and his sons, James, John and Walter. Persicolas’ house is the large Greek Revival at 239 North Broadway and was built around 1840. His hemp factory and ropewalk extended far back behind his house between 2nd and 3rd streets.
The 1896 Sanborn Insurance map shows the Avery Winston Hemp Factory on Broadway between New and 3rd Street. The Winston house at 255 North Broadway is one of the finest and most intact Italianate houses in Lexington and was no doubt designed by Cincinnatus Shryock, like many other fine houses of this type, with lavish but refined trim in detail and execution, including balconies, arcaded porches, paneled and pillastered entrance features, hoodmolds and cornices.
Next to the Winston house, where there are now two houses, there was originally a single large ell shaped 1840 Greek Revival house – 263 North Broadway which is the Wesley Hamilton house. Shortly before the turn of the century, the south wing of the house was cut off, perhaps after a fire, and a Richardsonian house, 261 North Broadway, replaced it on a separate lot. Both of these houses are in the process of being reclaimed.
262 North Broadway
The Charles Brent house has suffered from alterations such as the false mansard roof. Built in 1887, this is the earliest survivor on this side of the block between 3rd and New Streets.
Cross Broadway at 3rd towards Miller Street
This long block of 3rd street did not develop until after the Civil War, when it was still considered “suburban”.
405 West 3rd
A typical example of apartments that were built in the 1920s with a 20th century vernacular style. The first owners of this building were Dr. D.A. and Anna Coyle, who also owned the first house on Broadway we saw and 436 West 3rd.
408 West 3rd
This Princess Anne style house was built in the 1890s and despite the loss of its front porch it retains much of its integrity, exhibiting the complex form coupled with simplified detailing typical of the style.
411 West 3rd
In 1887 this house was built for Miss Mary McNichols. In 1893 she sold this Princess Anne to thoroughbred breeder John Breckenridge Gorham and his wife Lee Wood Gorham who named the house “Cherrycote” because she conceived it as a little nest.
412 West 3rd
1887 was a busy year on this block as that was also when this house was built. This house was characterized as being in the “new Queen Anne style craze” in a series of articles by John McMurty appearing in the Lexington Press in July and August of 1887. It was an early work of Hubert Aldenburg and J.R. Scott who went on to design most of the early residences on Fayette and Elsmere Parks. Much added to over the years, this house exhibits elements of both Queen Anne and Romanesque styling.
415 West 3rd
This handsome house exhibits both the form typical of Princess Anne styling and some detailing, especially the bow window and arched portico, of the incoming Colonial Revival style. The first resident of this house is listed as Mrs. Amanda Farris in 1893.
416 West 3rd
In 1888 Persicolas Scott deeded this lot to his son Walter as an advance on Walter’s share of his father’s estate. This house is an outstanding example of Romanesque styling. The materials, brick, stone and terra-cotta, are harmonious in texture and exhibit a full textural range. By 1893 Walter and his wife Mary were living here. The Scott’s sold this house in 1906 to John G. Stoll who eventually owned the Lexington Leader and in 1937 bought the Lexington Herald. He owned them both until his death in 1959.
The Lexington Leader –
October 25, 1906
SCOTT HOME Handsome West Third Street Residence Sold to John G. Stoll. The handsome residence of Walter Scott, 416 West Third street, has been purchased by John G. Stoll for a price reported to be $20,000, possession to be given in March next.
This residence is one of the most beautiful and attractive in Lexington and has long been the cynosure of the eyes of those seeking handsome homes in this fashionable part of the city.
417 West 3rd
This Princess Anne house, built in 1887, has characteristically eclectic inclusions of Tudor and Gothic styling in its trim.
418 West 3rd
This handsome Queen Anne house was built in 1884 for John T. Shelby. The front porch was carefully detailed, in the 1930s to blend with the wood trim original to the house.
421 West 3rd
A fine example of Princess Anne styling with its combination of Queen Anne massing, brackets and window hoods and of the incoming Colonial Revival style reflected in the free use of Classical details in the porch. This house was also built in 1887.
424 West 3rd
This is an 1882 Italianate residence with a Colonial Revival porch, whose additions over the years have been respectful of the fabric of the original house.
427 West 3rd
A pre-1887 double house stood on this lot until 1907. This is one of the few Prairie style houses built in this region. Built by Leonard G. Cox and his wife, Mary, who lived here until 1957. This house remains related to its more conservative neighbors by retaining a traditional basement and by constituting its walls mostly of exposed masonry.
430 West 3rd
This house was built by another Scott in the hemp business. James F. Scott, another of Persicolas’ sons, owned and operated the hemp factory and rope walk at the end of this block. The original Italianate house was built in 1867 and the Renaissance porch and tower were added by the Scotts before 1896. A photograph of this house appears in the 1898 Art Work of The Bluegrass, at that time the tower had a third story and a cupola, now gone.
431 West 3rd
This house was built between 1892 and 1901. John Anderson acquired the property in 1892 and an outline of the house is shown on the 1901 Sanborn map noted with #G, which was usually indicative of new construction. Both the imposing massing and the richness of its detailing make this Romanesque residence a major contributor to this block of significant houses.
435 West 3rd
This 1897 house is an especially carefully detailed Colonial Revival. A note in the Lexington Transcript in February 1893 mentioned that “Mr. W.E. McCann has decided to erect a new residence on West Third street……” and suggests that H.L. Rowe may have been the architect.
436 West 3rd
This house is a good example of the sophisticated and fairly rare Chateauesque style combining mixtures of Gothic and Renaissance detailing, especially the wall dormers which rise through the cornice line. The Historic Preservation Office’s research lists this house as built in 1887 and the PVA lists it as 1880, but we’ve done some research on our own and have found a fascinating story.
This empty lot was first sold to Isaac Smith by Persicolas and Elizabeth Scott on October 8th, 1870 for $2547.50. On the 26th day of February 1875, Isaac and his wife, Ruth, sold the lot to Leland Peak for $1800.00, although the Weekly Press on March 7, 1875, reported the transfer was to Charles Moore. Charles Moore was married to Lucy Peak Moore so it seems that this could have been a gift from his in-laws. By 1876, Charles C. Moore and L.W. Peak are both listed at this address in the City Directory and Charles’ occupation is listed as a farmer.
Charles Chilton Moore was a colorful character in not only Lexington’s history, but also in the history of the United States. C.C. Moore was the grandson of Barton W. Stone, a reformer and revivalist Christian preacher. At one time Charles was a faithful gospel preacher. He preached for the Church of Christ at Versailles, Kentucky. After much trouble over the teachings of the Bible, he closed the Book, and left the church. Among other issues, he reasoned that a study of geology showed the world to be much older that Ussher's dating the age of the earth at 4000 B.C. This among other issues continued to move him further and further away from trusting in the God of the Bible. Over the course of the next few years he became a deist, then later an agnostic, then ultimately an atheist.
Charles and Lucy both came from wealthy families and not only had this house but also a farm, Quakeracres, in Scott County, where they spent the majority of their time.
Moore was the editor of one of the nation's first journals promoting atheism, Blue Grass Blade, published here, in Lexington. His basis for the paper started as a means of promoting his prohibitionist and abolitionist ideals. Moore was one of the last men in America to be sent to prison for blasphemy. However, he was pardoned by President William McKinley.
The Moores owned this house until 1895, and during that time either rented it out to numerous people over the years, or used it as a city residence. In 1895 they sold it to D.A. and Anna Coyle, who were the first owners of 405 West 3rd Street. The Coyles owned this for only one year when they sold it to Dr. Ambrose Witherspoon and his wife, Frankie.
Walk to the backyard
Frankie Witherspoon was responsible for buying the additional two lots from the heirs of Persicolas Scott that make up the backyard. For $594.00 she purchased the rest of this yard.
When the pond was dug here in the backyard the owners thought they were working around a rock garden but the more they dug the more rocks they found. The Rope walk and Hemp Factory of Persicolas Scott would have been right through this backyard and since much molten brick was also found, it seems it was probably the foundation of the Ropewalk that burned down in 1846.
The Observer & Reporter – May 23, 1846
Another Bagging Factory Burnt – The Bagging Factory and Rope Walk of Mr. PERSICOLAS SCOTT in this city, were destroyed by fire on Thursday morning last about 2 o’clock. It was undoubtedly the work of an incendiary, and the loss is reported to be between 2 and $3000.
A Ropewalk was at structure where rope makers walked back and forth with the fiber to make ship cordage. A "great reel" moved horizontally at the eastern end.
440 West 3rd
Originally there was a double house here that sometime in the 30s was somehow demolished, by fire or what I’m not sure, and this Colonial Revival house was erected by F.H. Wright in the late 30s.
444 West 3rd
This is the Charles McCarthy house that was built in 1877. Italianate architecture.
445 West 3rd
“Lindenhouse” as it was known after 1923, this house has a Greek Revival – Italianate architecture. The original house seems to have been built in the 1860s, although local legend seems to have an original 1805 residence that this is built around. This house has been continually altered by succeeding owners and reflects the height of style in each period of renovation, even today.
448 West 3rd
This well proportioned and detailed Italianate house was built in 1872 to be used as the Centenary Methodist Church parsonage. The architect was very probably Cincinnattus Shryock, who designed Centenary’s church building.
449 West 3rd
A Handsome and practically unaltered Princess Anne house combining the surface textures and building forms of Queen Anne with the free use of classical detailing of the incoming Colonial Revival style. John Stoll erected this house in 1895 and it remained in the Stoll’s hands until 1940 when the Catholic Women’s League bought it for a widow’s home but sold it in 1946. The current owner has been here since 1964.
452 West 3rd
This house was probably built in 1888 or 89. John Stoll was listed in the city directory as living here in 1890 but the owners until 1946 seem to be R.H. Wilson et al, and this was rental property. This house has the form of an Italianate house with simplified Romanesque windows and trim. The added porch is in the Colonial Revival style and was added somewhere after the turn of the century. Les and Linda have lived here since 1980.
453 West 3rd
This is known as the Charles H Stoll house. This imposing residence retains its integrity despite having been converted to apartments. For years it suffered from neglect until very recently being purchased by a couple who wants to maintain its integrity.
This Italianate/Italianate Renaissance house was probably built around 1870 by Charles Stoll and he owned it until 1913. Most of the major renovations and additions to this house happened while he owned it.
The 1914-15 City Directory listed this house as the “Dale Sanatorium”.
455 West 3rd
This is a 1910 Georgian – Federal Revival.
458 West 3rd
The original portion of this house was built in the 1880s, perhaps for W.R. Milward who is listed as living there from 1887 – 1950. This Queen Anne house incorporates several styles; Romanesque, Chateauesque, Classical, and Italianate elements.
462 West 3rd
This house could probably tell stories. Although its known as the Judge Matthew Walton House, it was also home to the vividly colorful artist, Henry Faulkner and his goat Alice.
This is quite possibly a pre-civil War house. It was built as an Italianate and renovations around 1900 added the Romanesque features and rehabilitated in 1985.
465 West 3rd
This Arts & Crafts/ Colonial Revival house was built in 1910 as the parsonage for the First Presbyterian Church. The full porch has a pair of Ionic pillars, columns on stone piers, with delicate down-curving balustrades between.
466 West 3rd
This 1890 Princess Anne house shows some Romanesque influence on its window styling. The present owners have been here since 1977.
468 West 3rd
The Fred Lazarus house was built in 1888. This was carefully composed and freely interpreted Romanesque styling, this house appears to be relatively unaltered.
Fred Lazarus was a dealer in fancy novelties, notions and dry goods on West Main Street. He lived at this house wife his wife, Pauline, and his brother and partner, Samuel. Fred was also instrumental in establishing the Temple in Lexington.
469 and 471 West 3rd Early 1900s Bungaloid residences. 472 West 3rd Brothers, partners and now neighbors, Sam Lazarus built this house in 1893. Probably considered a Princess Anne it is a nice mix of late Queen Anne, freely interpreted Classical and Romanesque motifs.
474 West 3rd
The Fannie L. Huffman house was built in 1895. The curiously composed façade of this Romanesque house retains its integrity. Turn left down Miller Street Miller Street, Scotts Row, Scotts Alley, it’s all one and the same. There is question of when this tiny street came into play but I believe it can be seen on the 1833 map.
244 Miller Street House renovated by the NNA. This seems to be a survivor from before the Civil War.
David Doucoumes Project
We’ll let David do this dog and pony show.
478 West 3rd
1870 – 80s Victorian Venacular with contemporary additions.
485-87 West 3rd
This house is on the site of the Scott Hemp factory. It is a 1910 Arts & Crafts/Neo-Classical
489-91 West 3rd
Almost identical to 485-87, it contributes to a higher density near Jefferson Street.
Hampton Court was the brainchild of C.H. Stoll, a Lexington attorney, who was active in politics and many businesses. At one point he was the U.S. Collector of Internal Revenue, President of the Belt Line Company, President of the Associated Utilities of Lexington, and in 1899 organized and managed a syndicate of all the whiskey distillers in Kentucky.
Hampton Court was not Stoll’s first real estate development as he had already been involved with transactions at Makinac Island and New Mexico.
In 1904 The Herald published the following: "There are strong and persistent rumors to the effect that one of the main reasons for the purchase of the Lexington water works plant by the Stoll family and other Lexington businessmen was for the purpose of considerably inflating its stock and capitalization and then disposing of it to the city at a greatly increased figure over what they paid for it." Rumors to the effect that the city might purchase the water works have been in circulation for some time, even before the Stoll purchase – isn’t it amazing – it’s nothing new!
In February 1905, Stoll’s daughter, Mary Elizabeth married Hampton Halley Lisle for whom C.H. named Hampton Court. Talk about liking a son-in-law! And in December of the same year as a holiday present C.H., Jr and Hampton Halley were given 1/3 interest each in the largest book, stationery and printing establishment in Central Kentucky – the Transylvania Company.
The first “flat” buildings in Lexington, with his hope to make Lexington a bit more metropolitan. What stood here previously was the Scott Hemp Factory and the Orphan Asylum, that came into existence as an answer to the need after the Cholera epidemic of 1833. The 3rd Street neighbors were not real keen on this development but as you can see Stoll prevailed.
In November of 1908 C.H. Stoll talked about the disgrace Kentucky has brought upon itself by giving free reign to lawlessness when he announced he would be glad to get away from state that cannot protect lives and property of its citizens and moved to New Mexico with Hampton Halley and his family.
In 1909 Stoll sold Hampton Court to Colonel Milton Young. Young had recently sold his McGrathiana Farm and leased a place in Stoll Flats. Not long after that Stoll and Young started negotiations for a purchase.
Milton Young was married to Lucy Spalding Young, of the same family as Sister Catherine Spalding who founded the Sisters of Charity at Nazareth, and had seven children. One of their daughters, Lucy Fisk, lived on Hampton Court from the purchase until her death in the late 80s.
Interesting though, in August of 1909, C.H. Stoll and his family returned to Kentucky.
25 Hampton Court
The Waverly was built in 1911 by Milton Young. A 4 story yellow brick apartment, now condominiums, building with Georgian and neo-Greek Revival details.
75 Hampton Court
Hanover Apartments is the second “flat” building on Hampton Court and the first one built by Young after he purchased Hampton Court. The six unit building was to cost $15,000.00.
89 Hampton Court
The Solomon Kahn House is a 1915 Colonial Revival residence that accomplishes the transition between in scale between the multi-unit buildings to the south and the more closely spaced residences to the north.
Solomon Kahn had a grocery on Georgetown Street and was listed among “prosperous and wide-awake merchants” in an article on prominent Jewish citizens.
99 Hampton Court
This is a stick style house built in 1912. With its shingled look and the rhythmical flared edges of the roof porch and windows , this house suggests Dutch or even Oriental flavor. 101 Hampton Court This substantial house in the middle of Hampton Court shows Arts and Crafts influences interesting in contrast with the more exotic treatment of #99. This is a 1911 residence.
103 Hampton Court
This is one of the four Nicholas Warfield Gratz houses on Hampton Court. Built in 1924, this blocky Georgian Revival residence is among the latest on the court.
105 Hampton Court
Another Warfield Gratz house this was built in 1924 for Mrs. Annie G. Clay, daughter of Benjamin Gratz and widow of Thomas Hart Clay, the grandson of Henry Clay. Her daughter, Henrietta Clay lived here until her death in 1975. This house combines vague historical references to Colonial architecture with the large rough brick so popular in the twenties for commercial buildings.
360 Hampton Court
This was the home of Warfield Gratz, a Tudor Revival built in 1924. Notice this cottage is massed and sited to present several profiles to the viewer.
338 Hampton Court
Another cottage attributed to Warfield Gratz, this modest house was built for $6000.00, in the early thirties for pioneer preservationist Earl D. Wallace, perhaps the person most responsible for Shakertown.
336 Hampton Court
A large plain brick house has stone accent blocks in the lintels of the second story windows. This could be a 1923 or a 1930 house.
334 Hampton Court
A modest residence with pleasing proportions. This 1935 house was the last to be built on Hampton Court.
332 Hampton Court
This 1918 residence is the only bungalow style house on the court.
330 Hampton Court
The W.O. Sweeney house was built in 1915 and like its virtual twin next door, is a modest residence. W.O. Sweeney was the manager of the prosperous J.D. Purcell Company Department store on Main Street.
324 Hampton Court
The John G. King house was also built in 1915. Located in the middle of the court, it is one of a pair of pyramidal roof residences that profit from their location on the court. In spite of their modesty, they seem to have attracted prominent owners and occupants.
322 Hampton Court
This is a 1909 late Richarsonian residence.
320 Hampton Court
The smallest house on Hampton Court, this one breaks the rhythm of the street line of the court with its scale and setback denoting the contrast between the adjacent apartment building and residences to the north.
453 Hampton Court
The Howard, a 1920 Spanish Colonial Revival building, is getting some of its red tile roof back by the new owners. This influence rarely surfaced in Lexington buildings.
310 Hampton Court
Called Stoll Flats, Hampton Apartments or the Ivanhoe, this is the earliest apartment building in Lexington. Built by C.H. Stoll, an attorney who opened Hampton Court, it is an eclectic composition with historical references to Georgian and French Renaissance styles. This luxury apartment building forms an impressive overture to Hampton Court.